News

Cigarette believed to have started three-storey house blaze in Folkestone

Contributed by editor on May 17, 2018 - 08:35 AM


It's thought a discarded cigarette could have caused a blaze at a Bournemouth Road, Folkestone house in the early hours of this morning, 16 May.


Kent Fire and Rescue Service was called to reports of smoke coming from a three-storey property in Bournemouth Road, Folkestone.

Two fire engines and a height vehicle attended and firefighters discovered a fire on the top floor which had started to spread to the roof.

Wearing breathing apparatus, crews used a hose reel jet, a main jet and water from a hydrant to extinguish the flames, before removing roof tiles to reveal any hotspots.

KFRS report that the fire is believed to have started accidentally from a discarded cigarette.

There were no reported injuries.

Leanne McMahon, Group Manager for Community Safety, said: "It's so important to properly stub out and dispose of cigarettes. Use a heavy ashtray which can't tip over easily and is made of a material that won't burn - a sturdy metal ashtray is best. It's also a good idea to put ashtrays outdoors before you go to bed." For more smoking safety advice, visit - www.kent.fire-uk.org/your-safety/home-safety/what-are-the-risks/smoking/     

more news

© Hawkinge Gazette and Channel Coast News 2003 - 

2px black line divider


comments

Comments powered by Disqus.